Inspired by PaleOMG’s Pizza Spaghetti Pie, this recipe really is marriage of both pizza and spaghetti all in one. It is pretty simple to make and is great if you want to make a lot of food for relatively cheap.
- 1 Spaghetti sqash
- 1 lb Hot Italian sausage
- 3 eggs
- Fresh basil
- 1 Medium yellow onion
- 1 Jalapeno (optional)
- 1 Can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Package of pepperoni
- 1 cup mozzarella (optional)
- 1/2 cup parmesan (optional)
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Roast the spaghetti squash for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees: Cut squash in half the long way and scrape out the seeds. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes. Drizzle with olive oil. Place open sides down on baking sheet.
- Chop onion, jalapeno, garlic, and any other items you want to include in the filling. (I through in a couple of mushrooms I had leftover.)
- Sautee onions, jalapeno, mushrooms, and half of the garlic in coconut oil just long enough to soften up. (About 2 minutes).
- Add sausage and push it around the pan until it has crumbled. Stir occasionally until sausage has fully browned.
- Add the tomatoes to a sauce pan and bring to a slight simmer. You can get creative with the seasoning here to your taste. I added salt, pepper, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, fresh garlic and lots of fresh basil. Stir occasionally while the sausage finishes cooking. (Canned pizza sauce would be fine for this recipe but it is pretty simple to make your own.)
- Take the squash out of the oven and pull apart the spaghetti threads with a couple of forks, dumping it into a casserole dish as you go.
- Add the sausage, onions, and tomato basil sauce into the dish and mix until combined.
- In a bowl, whisk 3-4 eggs and pour that into the casserole dish. This will help bind everything together when it bakes. Stir everything together (quickly so they don't scramble!) until the eggs are completely incorporated and cannot be seen. Now, it is ready to go in the oven!
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- If you are skipping the toppings, let it bake for 50-60 minutes and you're all done.
- If you are adding the cheese and pepperoni, do that after about 35 minutes. Put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes to finish baking, and then turn the broiler on high for a final 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the pepperoni starts to crisp.
Cheese is totally optional. If you're not strict paleo and don't have trouble digesting dairy then it is highly recommended!